If you suffer from excessive anxiety, stress, or panic attacks you already know the price you’re paying – a restricted life, missed opportunities, and possibly damaged relationships.
As a private therapist and coach, I can help you get back in control of your life. I’ve been helping people for over 30 years using a wide variety of approaches including Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), coaching, mindfulness, NLP, therapy, counselling, memory reconsolidation therapy, Havening, and behaviour change methods. However, the most useful thing is that within the last 15 years scientists have figured out in detail what is going on in the brain of somebody struggling with anxiety, and what can be done to make things better.
I keep up to date and use these newer more precise and effective approaches.
How coaching, counselling and therapy can help you with your anxiety, stress, or panic attacks
If it were simple or obvious to you how to get past your difficulties, you would already have done it yourself.
It doesn’t matter whether we call working together anxiety counselling, anxiety therapy or anxiety coaching; all these disciplines are starting to merge by using the most scientific evidence-based approaches available.
My task is to help you identify what’s going on in your mind and brain, and help you implement the tools, strategies or techniques that are most likely to help you. I’ll bring the latest research-based ideas and tools to our sessions – you bring your life experience.
It’ll be a team effort to find out what’s most appropriate for you, and to make sure the solutions fit in with your life. This collaborative approach is a much more effective and quicker way of getting you to where you want to be.
The benefits to you of working with an anxiety specialist
When you work with a specialist like me, I can help you quickly untangle what’s going on inside your head and mind. I know the patterns and processes to look for and what we can do to change them.
From our very first session together you will start to understand this, experience regaining control, and have a more optimistic view of the future.
No two people afflicted by anxiety, stress or panic attacks will have exactly the same things going on inside their heads. When you and I work together we can focus on only what’s relevant to you, giving you a more reliable and faster change for the better.
Benefits you could gain from our session include:
- a far better and more precise understanding of how anxiety is working inside your head and what you can do about the various mental processes involved.
- ability to identify any triggers that cause your anxiety, stress, or panic attacks, and how to remove the triggers or make them less invasive.
- Learn simple effective strategies to help yourself stay grounded in the present when excessive anxiety, stress, or panic attacks strike.
- learn and implement strategies to reduce stress levels in your life, leading to a reduction in anxiety and panic attacks.
- help you identify and change the existing thought or behaviour habits that might be making things worse.
- a bespoke set of tools for you, based on your life, your circumstances and what you want to get from a well-lived life. Together we work out strategies that fit with you to give you the benefits you want.
- better sleep.
- better personal and work relationships.
- improve your ability to stay focused and productive.
Anxiety symptoms I can help you with
Here are some of the symptoms you may be experiencing. I can help you reduce the symptoms, reduce the number of times they occur, or help you better cope with them. Issues like:
- A sense of dread or doom.
- A hopelessness about your life circumstances today, and your future.
- Difficulties connecting with others in meaningful ways.
- Avoiding situations, or people, that could trigger your anxiety.
- Feeling constantly “on edge” or overwhelmed.
- Difficulty communicating.
- Difficulties in focusing or concentrating.
- People you used to get on well with have become slightly defensive around you, or they’ve gone monosyllabic in their communication with you; or you think they’re acting strangely or incompetently (“I’m surrounded by idiots.”)
- Sleep problems.
- Physical symptoms in your body, such as muscle aches, or digestive problems linked to anxiety or stress.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a complex set of processes in our brains that have evolved to keep us safe. When we’re anxious it can significantly increase our levels of vigilance and focus. It can motivate us to take action to escape the threatening situation.
Problems occur when this mechanism gets too sensitive, too overactive, or you start to feel anxious about the possibility of feeling anxious or experiencing panic attacks in upcoming situations.
It is this excessive anxiety that is the major problem for most people and for 30 years I have been helping people to understand and overcome this.
When should you consider getting help with your anxiety?
If you answer yes to some of these questions, then please get in touch with me – I may be able to help you.
- Do you find yourself worrying a lot of the time?
- Are you increasingly finding situations overwhelming?
- Do you avoid situations or people because you’re concerned about how you might feel?
- Is your anxiety having an impact on your work relationships?
- Are you feeling disconnected from the important people in your life?
- Do you feel something bad is going to happen, especially if you don’t do something?
- Are you suffering from what you know to be irrational fears?
- Are you increasingly having negative self talk?
- Are you using excessive alcohol or recreational drugs to change how you feel?
- Are you having panic attacks?
- Are you getting physical symptoms that cannot be explained, such as rapid heartbeat, sweaty palms, digestive problems and/or headaches?
What’s it like to work with me?
Although there is no ‘one size fits all’ solution, when I work with each client we usually go through distinct phases.
We identify effective tools and strategies for you to start reducing the impact on your life from your anxiety, stress, or panic attacks straight away.
This brings you many benefits.
- You feel better.
- You start the process of getting control back of your life, and moving towards a life worth living on your terms
- You start putting together some of the core tools you will need based on your needs and circumstances.
The focus of our work quickly moves on to helping you become more resilient and resourceful, and less pushed around by strong emotions when they occur.
Again, everything is tailored to you. Some things we may cover include:
- disrupting or eliminating patterns of thinking or behaving (bad habits) that could be contributing to your bad feelings and replacing them with positive habits.
- developing some core building blocks of resilience through simple mental activities that can fit easily into your life.
- more awareness of how your anxiety is working inside of your head, so it becomes less of a scary monster and perhaps just an unruly teenager! Combine this with your new tools and techniques and start to regain control
- start building a compelling vision of your future – something you can imagine reaching with appropriate effort. Just getting rid of your anxiety is not going to give you the rewarding life you want – we have to really go for it! If we make sure that you are heading to a place you want to be, then it’s much easier and quicker to effect positive changes in getting past your difficulties.
We may cover a range of topics, according to you and your circumstances and needs.
- If some memories are having a disproportionate impact on your life today, we can reduce the emotional charge they carry and reduce their impact.
- Start implementing strategies and approaches that will reduce the sensitivity and severity of your flight/fight response, so it activates less and/or with less intensity.
- Significantly improving your ability to regulate your own emotional states, so that when strong emotions do occur, they will push you around less, and you can carry on functioning and living your life.
- Help you become more naturally positive and optimistic (yes, you can learn to do this!) This is where much of your future resilience will come from.
- Troubleshooting – the focus is always on getting our work together to be useful in your life. If something is not working correctly or we’ve overlooked certain circumstances, then troubleshooting helps us get you back on track to where you want to be. Folks who engage in this troubleshooting phase are far more likely to have increased, lasting benefits.
Your next step
If you know it’s time to make a change, then please contact me.